Dorian Ulrey

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Is it Fall yet?!


This week started very much like most other weeks in Arkansas around this time of year, temperatures in the mid 90's with no rain and no wind, well that all changed on Wednesday. I woke up Wednesday morning mentally prepared for another run in the scorching heat, but to my surprise it was barely 50 degrees outside and as gloomy as I have ever seen here in Fayetteville this time of year. It was more than a little uncomfortable having the temperature drop 40 degrees over night, now add in zero sunlight and lots of wind and you have yourself a rather unpleasant run! This continued to be the norm for the rest of the week. Yesterday was a planned easy run so I didn't mind the torrential downpour that lasted for about half of my run, it was actually quite calming. I have never been a big fan of running in the rain but all that has changed now that Nike provides me with killer rain gear. I have four different ultra light rain jackets that are perfect for days in the 50's, 60's and even 70 degree range. With my amazing rain jacket and hat I was in 7th heaven as the rain poured down, killing off the wind, and finally giving the skies a reason to look so gloomy. I wasn't the only runner out on the cross course that day, but I was the only one not huddled under a tree ( bad idea for future reference) trying to wait out the storm.

Today is my day off and I am making the most of it! I slept in until 9, sad, I know, but that is great for me, at which point I made my healthy yet delicious breakfast of oatmeal with brown sugar and a piping hot cup of coffee. After a mid morning shower I washed some dishes, folded laundry, wrote out my dinner menu for the week, and just finished grocery shopping. Now all that remains is a sauna session later followed up with some dinner. Now that I am done with school and don't dread Mondays, Sunday is by far my favorite day of the week, once again sad, I know, but I'm not the party animal I once was and I rather like the calming feeling of a day spent doing chores around the apartment, and not to mention the day off from running!

No comments:

Post a Comment